The African American Leadership Forum (AALF) is committed to supporting Minnesota’s Black community through the coronavirus (COVID-19) public health crisis. We empathize with the health and economic concerns our community is experiencing around the potential impacts of this issue, and we intend to be responsive to the needs of our network contributors (1,500+ African American Thought Leaders, Builders, Influencers, & Ambassadors), as well as our affiliates and the Black community at large.
Reducing Your Risk from COVID-19
Practice Social Distancing
COVID-19 exists in a category of viruses that cause the common cold and the flu. Many people may experience very mild symptoms if they get this virus. However, for those who are senior citizens and others with compromised immune systems, severe illness can result. It is important to minimize your exposure to the virus and/or your potential to give it to others (in other words, stay home as much as possible). Click here for more information about social distancing.
You can minimize your chances of getting COVID-19 (or spreading it) by:
- Practicing social distancing
- Washing your hands with soap and water (for 20 seconds) regularly and/or using hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face with unclean hands
- Regularly disinfect surfaces in your home and environment
Please remember that if you are a younger person with a strong immune system, you may experience this virus like you would a cold or the flu. However, for those with compromised immune systems and chronic illness, and those over the age of 60, getting this virus can be deadly. If you have family members and others who fall into this category, be sure to keep your distance.
Additional Information About COVID-19 & Resources
- CDC – Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Community
- World Health Organization
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)
- COVID-19 Hotline: Questions about COVID-19? Call the MDH COVID-19 Hotline at 651-201-3920 Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Meal Access During School Closures (Saint Paul Public Schools)
- Internet (Comcast)
- MN Unemployment Benefits and COVID-19
- Coronavirus economic response questions: (651) 266-8500
Support for Businesses in Minnesota:
- City of Saint Paul
- Ramsey County
- Supporting Business in Saint Paul during COVID-19
- A COVID-19 Business Resource Guide
- Free website design services for businesses
For Philanthropy and Nonprofits:
- Coronavirus Resources (Minnesota Council of Nonprofits)
- “How Nonprofits and Foundations Can Use Scenario Planning to Prepare for Coronavirus”
Telecommuting/Remote Work Tools & Resources
- Google Hangouts Premium is free through July 1.
- Microsoft Teams is available for free for six months.
- GoToMeeting is also offering their remote work tools free for three months.
- Nonprofits focused on fighting COVID-19 can access three months of free Dropbox Premium.
We will continue to update this page with community resources for those impacted by the outbreak.